Basic Trendy

Eloise Worledge, A Strange Disappearance

Australian Missing Person Register

Background Of Eloise

Patricia Ann Watmuff was a student-teacher when she greeted her future spouse. Lindsay Worledge, three years older than her, was building an educational career at the Caulfield Institute of Technology. By the time that Eloise Anne Worledge, their first kid, was born in 1967, the small family had shifted into a four-bedroom weatherboard house in the suburbs of Beaumaris. The house was perfect: it was 500 meters from the famous Beaumaris beach, with light traffic and near to shops, schools, and work.

They went on to have two more kids, Anna and Blake, in 1969 and 1971, respectively. Nonetheless, regardless of the new kids in their lives, the decade-long wedding between Patsy and Lindsay was falling apart. While Patsy immersed herself in her kids, regional friends, and arts & crafts, Lindsay expended more time at the Caulfield Institute of Technology, where he was a lecturer and finalizing his MBA at Monash University.

Eloise’s Family Tension

According to friends, Linday’s comments to his wife were coming to be increasingly bitter. Patsy attempted to convince Lindsay to try counseling, which he refused–but Patsy got on ahead alone and, while it didn’t improve their wedding, it enabled her to understand the irrevocable state of her connection with Lindsay.

By 1975, the couple’s wedding was almost over. They started to build independent lives and sought satisfaction in others. In September of that year, Patsy started talking to Linday about a separation.

The couple decided to split, but Lindsay asked if he could pause to move out until he finished his final exams in November. They decided that Patsy would dwell in the marital home with the three kids, and he would have the independence to visit and have access to the children at any time. Regardless of their own issues, Patsy and Lindsay wanted to put their kids first and do everything in their strength to protect them.

But, once Lindsay’s exams were finished, he said Patsy that he required more time. They decided to stay together over Christmas for the sake of the kids, and then he would move out. They set the date for Patsy’s 33rd birthday, January 10th of 1976.


Patsy’s birthday came. She had been readying the kids for the upcoming separation, which Eloise “took [the news] in stride.” Jane Mirvis, Patsy’s friend from across the road, requested to host a birthday feast for her on Saturday (January 10). About 10 people were invited, but Patsy arrived without Lindsay–her initial public statement of independence. Reportedly, the friends knew sufficient about the Worledge’s domestic issues to be worried that Lindsay may react poorly–during the course of the evening, the police found that “some members of the group felt that somebody was spying on them through the windows.”

Note: a 2001 inquiry reports that Lindsay refutes the allegation that he was spying on his ex-wife during her feast celebration at Jane Mirvis’ home–he alleged that he did walk the street, examining the vehicles of the visitors who attended the birthday festivity. He implied that he was only interested and denied being stimulated by jealousy or suspicion.

At 2:00 AM

At 2 a.m., Patsy walked back across the street to her house. Lindsay was awake, and a “violent and unpleasant argument between them ensued,” according to police records. It went on for almost 2 hours, with screaming and shouting reaching a point to where neighbors almost called local law enforcement.

By Sunday afternoon, Lindsay had said his wife that he schemed on making his arrangements to move out by Monday. He took the kids to the beach and came back that afternoon to contact the estate agents, perpetrating to rent a particular property he was looking at. He told that he would sign the contract the next day, and retired early.

On Monday morning, Lindsay Worledge was a guest speaker at Honeywell Securities. He had lunch with an executive, coming back to the institute at about 2:15 p.m. (14:15). He joined members of the staff for drinks at a regional hotel. He had shared a carafe of wine at lunch and a jug of beer at the pub. By 4:00 p.m. (16:00), he rang the real estate agent to abolish his meeting, rescheduling for the next day. He left the hotel about 4:45 p.m. (16:45) and went home for feast. Patsy was at house, sewing, while Lindsay played Monopoly with the kids. Patsy went to her 8:30 p.m. (20:30) regular jazz ballet class.

Eloise had left her room at about 9:15 p.m. (21:15) for a glass of milk. She then got on into the television room and sat on her dad’s lap while he quietly told his side of the marital break-up. He later said a friend that he was satisfied that he had cleared the air with his daughter.


Disappearance of Eloise Worledge - Wikipedia
Pic: Wikipedia

Eight-year-old Eloise, called Ella by her family, went to the room at 10:30 p.m. (22:30) on that Monday, January 12, 1976. She was wearing a two-piece, yellow, baby-doll pajama set with “Rock ‘n’ Roll” on the front and a musical clef emblem on the back. Her dad, Lindsay, proceeded to drink at home.

Lindsay had two scotches and a bottle of wine with feast, and proceeded drinking port while watching TV, finally drifting into sleep.

Patsy had walked home from her jazz ballet class, and stopped at her friend, Jane Mirvis’, house (which was across the road). She went home to pick a dress she was stitching to show Jane. Lindsay was reportedly in the lounge room in darkness with the TV on. Patsy told him that she was going back to Jane’s.

Patsy came back home for good at 10:30 p.m. (22:30) She would later notify police that the outside porch light was off, and the front flywire entrance was closed but not “snibbed”. At around 11:00 p.m. (23:00), she took some ironing to Anna and Blake’s rooms. She then went into Eloise’s room, straightened her covers, kissed her goodnight, and got on to bed. This would be the final time that Patsy would notice her daughter alive.

At around 11:40 p.m., Lindsay turned off the TV and went to bed. He told that he checked on the usual, and didn’t listen or notice anything extraordinary. Patsy told that was rare for him.

Note: This next set of explanations varies banking on the source and the date of the interview. I will try to maintain this as obvious as I can!

In his actual statement, the next morning, Tuesday, January 13, Lindsay told that he rose at 6:30 a.m. and, as he went to the kitchen for a drink of water and orange juice. He remembers seeing that his daughter’s door was close. He went out to collect the milk and paper, coming back to bed to examine the day’s news. According to Lindsay, Anna and Blake entered into their parents’ room and started playing. Blake had told that Eloise was not in her room, but neither parent took attention of the chattering 4-year-old. At 7:30 a.m., when Patsy rose for the day, she started to get baffled when she could not discover Eloise. Lindsay then rose and met Patsy at the doorway of their daughter’s room. He glanced in and instantly saw the curtain pulled to the side and the cut flywire screen (linked later).
In Patsy’s statement, Patsy told she was roused at 7:30 a.m. when Lindsay came back into bed. She told that this was rare because it was his habit to send the kids to collect the paper. She said Blake jumped into the bed at the same time and told that Eloise was not in her room. She told that she left her bedroom about 7:55 a.m. and went into the hallway where Anna ran up and told Eloise was missing.
Ten days later, during a re-enactment, he told that he rose to discover Blake already in his bed at about 7 a.m. Anna reached 10 minutes later, and Lindsay inquired his kids to get the paper, but when they ignored him he went to get it himself. He told that when he got the paper, the front door was shut. He glimpsed the clock in the kitchen showing 7:15 a.m. In this re-enactment, Patsy remembered the similar events as in her statement, but also added that she had a shower and then Anna alerted her.
According to the newspaper article, Eloise’s father Mr. Lindsay Worledge was noted as stating, “My son came in [in] the morning and told us that Eloise had vanished.” Here is an image of Eloise’s bedroom on Scott Street. As can be noticed in the first linked photo, a flywire screen on her window was partially cut, rolled upwards, and the window was completely open. Lindsay Worledge instantly phoned the police, as he realized that his daughter wouldn’t leave home by herself. Lindsay told reporters, “She would not even go to the shopping centre by herself. I think some crazy person must have taken her somewhere.”
In Patsy’s version of circumstances, she was checking the front part of the home when Lindsay told he had discovered something in Eloise’s room.

Patsy told that she had rang her sister, Margaret Thomas, and “panic-stricken” moved across the road to Jane Mirvis’ house. Lindsay decided to ring the regional police, rather than the emergency D24 number. At 8:27, Margaret Thomas, who had reached at the Worledge home, rang D24 and gave the phone to Lindsay.

According to the police, Lindsay Worledge implied in a cold and almost off-hand mood that there had been a break-in at his home, and the only thing losing was his daughter.


Eloise’s kidnapping spurred the hugest Victorian missing person’s investigation in history. Eight minutes after the call to D24, Sergeant Cyril Wilson from the Beaumaris police station rapidly kicked his instincts into action: this was no runaway. He called for back-up and within 30 minutes, regional detectives were on the spectacle.

More than 250 police, comprising search and rescue, mounted branch, the dog squad and the autonomous partrol group, surveyed for nearly three weeks. At the end of the first day of inquiries, a senior police office remarked that “tonight they had no indications as to the girl’s disappearance.” Nonetheless, they had at least some inkling as to what may have occurred. A experienced police officer (note: unsure if it was the same officer who had commented earlier) said, “It is very possible that the abductor would have known the family, as he realized which window to go to.”

Between January 21 and 23, police canvassed 6000 houses in the region with a prepared list of questions. They were eligible to log 200 skeptical incidents that happened on the night she was kidnaped. Some very interesting tips were as follows:

The first tip that they earned was from a neighbor (#1), who had reported listening to a dark green car speed down the street at about 2 a.m.
Another neighbor (#2) reported noticing a green Holden station wagon she did not identify parked near the Worledge’s home.
At nearly midnight, another neighbor (#3) reported having noticed a young man walking down the fenceline of the Worledge house, making her feel so uncomfortable that she crossed the street in avoidance.
At about that exact time (midnight), another neighbor (#4) noticed a young man leap the fence into the Worledge property after running in front of her car and across the street.
At nearly 2 a.m., another neighbor (#5) listened a kid’s scream and a car door slam; neighbor #4 also reported hearing this at the exact time.
Eloise’s little brother, Blake, had told police an indefinite time after the first interview that he heard “robbers” who had abducted her–but he was too frightened to say anything because he guessed that they might take him as well. He explained hearing crackling noises that police think to be consistent with steps on the sea-glass floor covering of Worledge’s bedroom.

On Monday, January 19, it was noted that police were following up on new data after interviewing a 23-year-old man. He had been queried for many hours at Beaumaris search headquarters, but later permitted him to return home. Head of the Australian Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB), Detective-Superintendent Fred Warriock, was reported as saying, “This is the biggest lead we’ve had so far.” He reported that many people were interrogated over the weekend.

Nonetheless, rumors were already starting to spin off an apparent perpetrator closer to home.

The first thing police examined was the open window in Eloise’s room. Bark from a tree outside of Worledge’s window was discovered on her bedroom floor. Law enforcement concluded that the flyscreen on Eloise’s window had indeed been slash, but the carving on the window had two substantial issues: first, forensic scientists had inferred that it had “possibly been cut from the inside,” and second, the gap was too small to admit a person without a lot of noise. The window had been opened to its utmost of 38 cm (14 inches). For this reason, the police think that Eloise had not been taken through this window. As quoted by detectives, “On balance, founded on all the data on-hand, it seemed more probable that the person or persons responsible for Eloise Worledge’s disappearance had affected their entry and exit through a point other than her bedroom window.” For this justification, they thought that Eloise was indeed taken from her bed, but the offended left with Eloise out of the door.

A light in the hallway between all of the family’s bedrooms was generally left on when the kids went to bed. Lindsay told that he had left the hallway light on, but around 4:45 a.m. the next morning, Patsy roused to go to the restroom and noticed ed that the light was off. For this justification, police demonstrated that Eloise had already been taken by this time.

By Thursday, January 22, Eloise’s disappearance officially became Victoria’s hugest police search involving 200 policemen. They performed a door-to-door search for the girl, starting at 2:30 p.m. and ending at 10:00 p.m., querying nearly 1,500 inhabitants. Investigators reported no optimistic leads. The Government had proposed a $10,000 reward for data leading to her recovery.

Share if you like it