Basic Trendy

The Unsolved Murder Of Dorothy Jane Scott

” When I get you lonely, I will cut you up into bits so no one will ever discover you,” the man’s voice told on the phone. It wasn’t the initial such call that Dorothy Jane Scott had received from the anonymous caller—someone whose voice she appeared to recognize but couldn’t quite place—but it was maybe the most alarming and, tragically, among the most prophetic.

Scott, A Single Mom

The Unsolved Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott | by Brenda Thornlow | Medium
Pic Credit: Brenda Medium

Since early in 1980, Scott, a single mum with a four-year-old son named Shawn, had been receiving the alarming calls at her aunt’s bungalow in Stanton, California, where she and Shawn resided. At times, the caller was fawning, proclaiming his love for Scott and making romantic proposals. Otherwise, he was vitriolic and frightening, saying that he was going to damage her in frightening ways. In both modes, the caller made it obvious that he was seeing Scott, reviewing details of her day-to-day life and, in one instance, saying her to go outside because he had something for her. When she got onto her car, she discovered a single dead rose positioned on the windshield.

The calls disturbed Scott and her family, but no one was quite certain what to do about them, so they went unreported. Then, on the night of May 28, 1980. Scott dropped her son off with her parents in Anaheim so that she could attend a faculty meeting where she worked. During the convention, she glimpsed that one of her coworkers, Conrad Boston, didn’t look well. She asked to take him to the hospital. He took her up on her offer, and another coworker, Pam Head, attended them. On the way, Scott stopped off at her parents’ home to check on her son and, while there, changed the black scarf she had been wearing for a red one.

Scott’s Son

At the hospital, it was inferred that Boston had been bitten by a black widow spider. He was attended while Scott and Head stayed around until he was available to go home. According to Head, Scott never left her side during the dusk. When Boston was discharged, Scott went out to the hospital parking lot to get her car while Head and Boston stayed to fill a prescription. When Scott didn’t come back right away, her two colleagues walked out to the parking lot. There they saw Scott’s car speeding away, the headlights dazzling them so that they couldn’t glimpse who was behind the wheel.

Initially, Boston and Head inferred that some emergency had come up affecting Scott’s son, but when they still hadn’t heard from her a few hours later, they documented her missing. At around 4:30 the next morning, Scott’s car, a white Toyota station wagon, was discovered in an alley in Santa Ana, about 10 miles from the hospital. The car had been set ablaze, but no one was inside.

A Week Later

It was just about a week later that Scott’s mum, Vera, earned the first call. “Are you related to Dorothy Scott?” the voice on the phone inquired. When Vera told that she was, the caller added, “I’ve got her,” and then hung up.

It was the main such call that Scott’s parents earned, but it wouldn’t be the final. Though police established a voice recorder at their home, they were never eligible to track the calls, as the caller never kept up on the line for more than a quick time.

Soon after the mysterious calls started, Scott’s father reached the Santa Ana Register begging them to run a story about his missing daughter. The story ran on June 12, 1980, and that same day Pat Riley, the paper’s editor, earned an unidentified phone call from someone contending to be Dorothy Scott’s murderer. “She was my love,” the caller said. “I caught her cheating with another man. She refuted having someone else. I murdered her.”

The Detail By Caller

The caller gave details that hadn’t been comprised in the newspaper story. Such as the colour of Scott’s scarf. And the proof that her coworker had been attended for a black widow bite that dusk. The caller also alleged that Scott had phoned him that night from the hospital. Though Pam Head argued that Scott had never left her side that evening. As far as anyone in her life was familiar, Dorothy Scott had no boyfriend at the time of her demise. Still, police think that the man who phoned the Santa Ana Register was possibly her murderer.

During all of this period, Scott was still missing. It was almost two months later, on August 6, 1984. The building workers would find charred bones near Santa Ana Canyon Road. The bones comprised human and dog remains side by side. Administrations thought that they had been there for some time, as a brushfire had slid through the region in 1982. And likely clarified the charred situation of the bones. Though no cause of demise was eligible to be ascertained. A turquoise ring and watch were both discovered with the remains. The bones were recognized as Scott’s through dental records.

Unsolved To This Date

Though the unusual phone calls to Scott’s family halted in April of 1984. They began again after Scott’s remains were discovered in August. Despite the murderer’s taunting calls, nonetheless, Scott’s killing is still unsolved to this day.

Share if you like it